Tuesday, May 15, 2012

First Harvest of 2012

Hey, everybody!  Sorry it has been a few days since the last post, but we have been busy, busy, busy around here! 

We harvested our first veggies from the garden today, a few radishes.  I think that I let them get a little too big, but you live and you learn, right?  I am not a huge fan of radishes, but the seed packet came for free with an order I placed...and I had space in the garden, so in they went.  Really easy to grow.  Did nothing, and 45 days later, they are ready to harvest.  If you think that you have a brown thumb, try radishes!


We also have blueberry bushes...just planted them a few weeks ago, and didn't really expect any berries this year, but it looks like we may get a handful.  The two year old garden assistant is pretty happy about that!


We also have baby tomatoes growing.  These are Burpee's "Cherry Punch".  Haven't tried them before, but haven't met many tomatoes that I didn't like.  I cannot wait until these are ready to harvest!


The other tomatoes (beefsteaks, some heirlooms) are blooming this week.  I didn't expect them to bloom this early, and hope they are able to set fruit early also.  They make me proud, since they were a first time experiment started from seed :)

We also have some zucchini making an appearance...


And, last, but not least, our "pet" ducks that have moved into the yard.  We fed them some corn and bread for a few days...apparently that was a bad idea.  They now live (and poop) on our deck, climb on our patio furniture, and knock on the window to get fed.  They will definitely be getting an eviction notice soon. 



Hope you all have had a wonderful week so far!

-Samantha


No comments:

Post a Comment