Thursday, May 3, 2012

Welcome to my garden!


“It’s the most wonderful time of the year…”



Ok, just kidding.  But this weekend is pretty high up on my list of favorites…because we are setting out tomatoes and other warm weather veggies in our garden!  Woot!  Maybe I am a little over excited, but I am a tomato-holic…as the Pioneer Woman would say…”They make my skirt fly up!”

So…let me give you a short run through of our garden.  Last year was a complete fail.  Between planting happening 4 weeks late due to heavy rain, and even more heavy rain after that, and our crappy clay soil…it just wasn’t very pretty. 

This year, we put in 4 raised beds made with 2’ x 12’ x 12’ boards and these awesome raised bed corners from Plow & Hearth.  We ordered the soil from a local nursery.  It was supposed to be a nice topsoil/compost mix, but ended up being light on the compost and full of pieces of gravel…I am a little disappointed, but I will amend it with more compost and manure, and it is still much nicer than our clay yard. 

We covered the beds with black plastic right after we filled them, to help raise the soil temperature faster and prevent weeds. 





Fast forward a couple weeks, and we put in some cabbage, sugar snap and snow peas, lettuces, onions, and radishes.  The cabbage is growing like crazy, the peas are so/so, the onions are growing…most of the lettuce was a fail except for a few ‘Green Ice’ stragglers that seems to be thriving. 




Now, we are ready to transplant my babies.  They would be tomatoes started from seed in my basement.  I used a seedling heat mat, found here, and a shop light fixture with both warm and cool spectrum T12 bulbs mounted on a PVC frame that my awesome hubby built.  Had nearly 100% germination and the plants are thriving!


I also ordered a few different varieties from Burpee…notice the size difference…but will be starting all from seed next year, based on the success we had this year.



I will be using Epsoma Garden-tone fertilizer, and Sea MagicGrowth Activator, based on the amazing amount of positive reviews for both.  The garden is not completely organic, but I will not be using chemical fertilizers or herbicides/pesticides.  I don’t want to put no so healthy things in my little munchkin’s body!



Hope you have enjoyed my little garden tour, and look forward to hearing about your garden adventures as well!

Now…I am off to drool and daydream about a fat BLT sandwich made with a nice juicy tomato straight from the backyard…yum!

I think I need to add a little disclaimer, too…I am, by no means, a garden expert…and you can feel free to laugh along with me at some of my failures!  I am definitely learning as I go.  I would love to hear your comments and advice!

-Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment